We are Toyota Connected Europe, but we are nothing without our people. Period!
Senior Product Designer
Design - London
Watch the video. Accept the challenge? Get in touch!
Who are we?
Toyota Connected Europe wants to create a better world through connected mobility for all. We are a new company created to bring big data and a customer focus into all aspects of the mobility experience so everyone’s experience is more personal, convenient, fun and safe. We create and enable technologies to delight and simplify the lives of everyone who use our products and empower them to think of and use our services in new ways.
You will be joining us at the beginning of Toyota Connected Europe’s journey of building our team and products. We are building teams to inspire, innovate and build technologies and products that are used by millions of people from all walks of life. We want every member of our team to live and breathe the start-up culture of Toyota Connected Europe and feel and act like an owner everyday. This is an opportunity to have an immediate impact and voice: what you create today, you will see being used tomorrow.
About the role:
As a Senior Product Designer, you will be at the heart of our product teams. You’ll be completely empowered to do the right thing, working from start to finish with engineers, product managers and the multi-disciplined team. You will play a vital role in the strategic and visual design of large-scale, distributed software applications, systems and services. You will be responsible for designing global-scale applications and services that will enable users to engage with their vehicles in never-before-seen ways.
You will be responsible for helping to mentor and develop a team of talented professionals. You will need to understand, articulate and apply the appropriate qualitative and quantitative inputs making complex design decisions.
You must be strategically minded and think about the full product and experience eco-system, while at the same time sweating the details. You will create the necessary artefacts to communicate what the user experience ought to be, whether that’s prototypes, user personas, journey frameworks, or service diagrams. You will be responsible for a wide range of activities, from face-to-face user research to running design studios to prototyping various interaction options—you need to know what technique is right for the problem at hand.
You will keep our customers at the center of all our thinking, and strive for simplicity by working hard to reduce complexity. You will cultivate a deep empathy for our customers and their needs across the organisation. You will be meticulous when designing end-to-end interactions that solve customer problems and balance function with delight in the understanding that every interaction reinforces our brand.
What you will do:
- Work side-by-side with a talented team of mobile and front-end developers to build world-class applications and services.
- Apply strategic thinking to design and design compelling, engaging experiences which balance user needs, business goals, and technological realities
- Communicate designs through sketches, flows, customer journeys, and wireframes, leading cross-disciplinary team communication, collaboration and development.
- You will take the time you have empathy for our customers. You will understand their wants and needs and build a strong vision for what Toyota Connected should do to help them.
- Operate from end-to-end. From research and sketches through to aesthetically pleasing designs, interaction and production code
- Solve end-to-end UX problems
- Participate in designing a visual system that will enable rapid and scalable application design in the future.
- Participate in the broader design community including conferences, open source contribution, UX writing, etc.
- Be a promoter for quality and innovate down to the detail. Help your product team understand and appreciate the impact of great design and how to make it happen.
- Thrive as an independent, autonomous, creative thinker that can break out from conventional solutions
- Your portfolio is the best demonstration of your ability or has best-in-class work that portrays your talent to distil broad and complex conceptual ideas into valuable products/services or features for users and explain how and why. The right portfolio will simply explain the end-to-end process (research/ideation to implementation) of how you arrived at the end result, methods used and will detail your specific contribution to the work displayed.
- You must be able to articulate the business outcomes of your design work
- Production experience with complex web and native applications
- You show strong product thinking, understanding not just ‘what’ but ‘why’, too
- You are data aware, informed and driven. You are a data-informed designer.
- Solid experience in creating wireframes, user flows, process flows and site maps
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent knowledge of UX techniques
- Strong grasp of design decisions across multiple platforms and screen sizes
- Experience in collaborating with skilled multidisciplinary teams
- A user-first approach to design thinking
- You can output quick iterations and low and hi-fidelity prototypes while still being comfortable working in a highly ambiguous environment.
- You’re passionate and empathetic - you fall in love with problems. You don’t burn out if things don’t go your way. You’re a starter and a helper
- Ability to explain your thoughts on usability, engagement, business/user needs and effectiveness and help grow the skill sets of other designers
- You are a start-up person and understand what it means to be in a start-up, and the contribution needed.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Experience working in Sketch and illustration capability