We are Toyota Connected Europe, but we are nothing without our people. Period!
Senior Software Engineer - Contract
Backend Engineer (Elixir) - London
Watch the video. Accept the challenge? Get in touch!
Who are we?
Toyota Connected Europe wants to create a better world through connected mobility for all. We are a new company created to bring big data and a customer focus into all aspects of the mobility experience so everyone’s experience is more personal, convenient, fun and safe. We create and enable technologies to delight and simplify the lives of everyone who use our products and empower them to think of and use our services in new ways.
You will be joining us at the beginning of Toyota Connected Europe’s journey of building our team and products. We are building teams to inspire, innovate and build technologies and products that are used by millions of people from all walks of life. We want every member of our team to live and breathe the start-up culture of Toyota Connected Europe and feel and act like an owner everyday. This is an opportunity to have an immediate impact and voice: what you create today, you will see being used tomorrow.
About the Role
Toyota Connected Europe is looking for Developers who will participate in the design, development, implementation, testing and documentation of large-scale, distributed software applications, systems and services. You will engineer global-scale applications and services that will enable users to engage with their vehicles in never-before-seen ways.
What You will Do
- Work side-by-side with a talented team front-end and back-end developers to build world-class web applications and services, be part of a team-oriented, Agile software engineering environment. You will own delivery of features from top to bottom, from concept to code to production and develop tools and libraries that will enable rapid and scalable development in the future
- Participate in the larger development community including conferences, open source contribution, technical writing, etc. Establish software patterns that incorporate emerging technology and thinking to crush expectations
- Work closely with product owners to shape and deliver features to customers and thrive as an independent, autonomous, creative thinker that can break out from conventional solutions
- Establish software patterns that incorporate emerging technology and thinking to crush expectations
- Production experience with Elixir/Phoenix or modern web develop languages, i.e. Ruby/Rails, Python, Go, Node.js, etc
- Experience building RESTful or GraphQL APIs that don’t drive other developers crazy
- Deep understanding of the best practices required to build truly web-scale applications
- A security-first mindset and knowledge of the latest in security approaches and pitfalls
- SQL and NoSQL database experience in production
- Experience working closely with front-end developers and an understanding of how to build backend services for single-page application frameworks
- Experience with source-control practices such as Git
- Focus on writing prudent and meaningful tests
- Experience working with real-time web technologies such as WebSockets, Phoenix Channels, HTTP2
- Understanding of building distributed, microservice-based solutions
- Understanding of large-scale messaging and streaming platforms such as Kafka and/or RabbitMQ
- Big Data experience using Hadoop, Spark, RedShift, etc.
What we Offer
- A market-leading salary and a 15% bonus that attracts the best talent so your colleagues will be super smart but humble
- 10% employer pension contribution
- Private medical insurance, travel insurance for both work and personal travel and income protection
- 4 x life assurance
- We care about work-life balance and we want to create a culture of autonomy, so we have unlimited annual leave. We trust you to take the time off when you need it
- Daily catered lunches
- Free drinks, snacks and fruit
Equal Opportunities, Diversity & Inclusion
Toyota Connected Europe is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates the diversity of the communities where we live and do business. Every role is open to all sections of society and we are committed to providing equal opportunities to all. If you have a disability or any other additional need that requires consideration, accommodation or adjustment to the role or recruitment process, please do let us know. Don’t check every box on the list but are interested in working for us? Please apply, we would still love to hear from you!
As a Software Engineer, you will be a part of a highly talented engineering team and participate in test plan design, test case development and execution, and test automation development of large-scale, distributed software applications, systems and services. You will be part of the team that build platforms which will enable our vehicles to communicate to the cloud. The features you test and deploy will power driving experiences across the world.
We are looking for team members that are required to be creative in solving problems, excited to work in modern technology areas and be ready to wear multiple hats to get things done in a highly-energised, fast-paced, innovative and collaborative startup environment.